Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Outsider (Outsider #1) by Micalea Smeltzer Review ~Kami


Outsider (Outsider #1)

by 
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13562180-outsider
http://www.amazon.com/Outsider-Series-ebook/dp/B007OWPBQU/ref=sr_1_1_title_1_kin?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357460325&sr=1-1&keywords=outsider+micalea+smeltzer




This book was gifted to me by the author for an honest review. Thank You!

Sophie is moving in with her grandmother in Virginia. The first night there she hears wolves calling outside her window. The last four books I have read have had a hot guy on a motorcycle protecting the girl and the last three the hot guy on the motorcycle has been the protagonist's soul mate. These girls are making me seriously jealous! I want a hot guy on a motorcycle who is my soul mate. I guess it saves time. You meet the guy, and BAM he's yours. Blue-eyed Caeden is super yummy. And Sophie is very feisty. ““Sophie was fine up until the point where she fell flat on her face when she got a look at my delicious abs,” he said and pulled up his shirt rubbing his chiseled stomach.” “My basement floor is now flooded with your drool.” “You have the gift of the purest, most kind, forgiving, all-consuming, true love.” “Bring on the shackles baby, I'm your slave.”

This books starts in September. Sophie's first shift into a wolf will be on her 18th birthday, January 16th. I was really liking this book. I liked the banter between Caeden and Sophie. The rival pack adds a lot of tension and excitement to the plot. Travis is a really, horrible, scary villain. Thinking of another shifter council in the shifter series by Rachel Vincent, they would have been executed a long time ago by an enforcer. This wolf council seems more lenient towards murder and torture of innocents. And this group doesn't seem to have an enforcer to do the dirty work. Though this group of wolf shifters seems a bit smaller than the shifter packs in Rachel Vincent's series. The other difference may be because this is a young adult book and Rachel Vincent's series is adult. But it does seem a little strange that Travis only gets a scolding like: 'bad wolf. No more of that.'

Caeden starts spending the night in Sophie's room to keep her safe. They hide this from her grandmother which I personally don't think would work. The grandmother is also a wolf, wouldn't she smell Caeden in the house? Caeden is the Alpha and leader of his pack which is a lot of responsibility for an 18-year-old. He does the best he can but he is afterall just a boy. Great leadership comes from experience, I think.

Caeden takes Sophie to the woods and a cave. As I was reading this I was thinking that 'how come they're not worried about bears?' but I guess since it is January all the bears would be hibernating. And I guess smaller animals would be afraid of the wolves and know to stay away.

I really liked this book a lot. I was seriously getting into the interaction between Caeden and Sophie. They are so funny and cute together. I really want to read the next book in this series and find out what happens with the big, bad, wolf: Travis. I am surprised that the author is only 19. She shows a lot of maturity in her writing which can get only better with experience. 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment